Friday, December 7, 2012

Dressing Modestly

Before I get in dressing modestly and telling you why I do it. I would like to first tell you what the definition of modest or modesty is.

In the Scott Foresman Intermediate Dictionary, modest is defined as not thinking too highly of oneself, not vain; humble, held back by a sense of what is fit and proper; not bold or forward; bashful; shy, not displaying or calling attention to one's body. Modesty is defined as freedom from vanity; being modest or humble, shyness, bashfulness, not displaying or calling attention to one's body.

Now that I've said what modesty is, I can now say why I dress modestly.

I watch the show 19 kids and counting with the Duggar family and I really enjoy watching how they interact with their family and others around them. The family as a whole chooses to dress modestly and they do so as to not draw attention to their bodies but to their countenance, face, and their personalities. I myself began to dress in skirts slowly last year then in April I went all in with dressing in skirts and dressing modestly. I have worn pants, shorts and capris but I feel more comfortable and lady like when I'm in dresses or skirts.

As some of you may know, different cultures have their own ideas of what is modest and what is not. For example, modesty to me is making sure your breasts are not visible and girls arent continuously having to pull up their tops because their chest is falling out of their tops. Another thing I find modest is loose fitting clothing such as shirts and pants. I feel that tight fitting jeans or skinny jeans or jeggings are not modest because they draw attention to how the body is shaped and, by watching my neice, they are constently riding down and can show a girls backside if shes not wearing a long enough top or jacket. I love loose fitting clothing because I am comfortable, cooler, and when I wear a shirt that isn't loose fitting I feel like the shirt has shrunk or I'm going to be like the Incredible Hulk and rip my shirt if I breath a certain way, move a certain way and I also feel that I can move more freely since it's loose.

Some people may say you cant do anything in a skirt but I must disagree. With a big enough skirt a lady can go horseback riding, I have gone to Disneyland and Knotts berry farm in a skirt and have had no problems getting on and off the rides and moving around.

So I guess Im going to wrap up this post.

Have a great day and God bless you and your families.
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment